Decades Of Successful Guidance In U.S. Patent Law
Whether you invented “The Next Big Thing” or merely built a better mousetrap, your creation is not entitled to a patent until the Patent Office says so. Dawes Patent Law Group provides close support to enable you to establish, protect and profit from your intellectual property rights.
Our attorneys have over 50 years of experience in patent filing and prosecution, in front of the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and around the world. Based in Southern California, we represent individuals, small businesses and R&D institutions nationwide and beyond.
The term “prosecution” has nothing to do with lawsuits or courts. It refers to the administrative procedures to convince the USPTO that your innovation is novel, useful and nonobvious. Our lawyers have decades of experience shepherding both design patents and utility patents through all the stages of a patent grant:
- Patent search – We identify similar inventions or “prior art” that could derail your patent claim.
- Patent filing – We help you prepare everything necessary for your patent application, including drawings, descriptions and technical specifications.
- Provisional application – This short form declares priority by establishing a filing date and allows you to assert patent pending. The interim protection expires in 12 months.
- Nonprovisional application – This is the long-form process requiring more extensive documentation and examination before it can be officially granted a patent.
- Office actions – If the USPTO patent examiner finds deficiencies in your claim, we will have to amend your filing or counter the objections.
- Appeals – If your claim is rejected in a final action, we can help you fight it through the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
- Challenges – Competitors or other patent holders may register objections to your published patent application. We defend you by showing how your invention is unique, necessary and not an infringement on any existing patent rights.
Beyond the granting of patents, Dawes Patent Law Group assists clients with patent portfolio management in the U.S. and abroad to capture, protect and maintain the commercial potential of patents and trademarks.
Our Wide Experience With Patents
Daniel Dawes has worked in patent law and intellectual property protection since 1974. Marcus Dawes also has focused experience in patents, including a stint with a European IP firm that provides our clients entrée to overseas markets. We welcome new clients in any industry, but we have special experience with medical devices and biotech, microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) and nanotechnology, and other high-tech fields. For example, Daniel was extensively involved in securing domestic and foreign patents for a brain catheter system which became the industry standard and largely eliminated the need for invasive craniotomies.
Take The Steps To Protect Your Patent Rights
Retaining a skilled attorney with specialized knowledge in this field can be highly beneficial, if not critical. We welcome the opportunity to work with you to fine-tune your patent application and secure the all-important patent grant.
To work one-on-one with experienced patent lawyers, call us at 714-804-0779 to arrange a consultation or reach out to us by email.